The Association, when the yearly scholarship was originally authorized in 1984, established a Scholarship Committee with instructions for administering the scholarship funds. The current policies are as follows:
One scholarship is to be awarded each year, in the amount of at least $1,200. In the case of a tie, two scholarships in the amount of at least $800 will be awarded. The funds available for scholarships will be determined each year by the Finance Committee and the exact amounts announced at the Annual Meeting.
Each scholarship is to be awarded to a descendant of Nathaniel Dickinson (1600-1676), the founding father of our Dickinson family in America.
Each scholarship is to help support full-time study in a bachelor’s degree program at a college accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association.
The principal decision criteria are: respectable academic performance over the last three years; broad involvement in activities and service within the applicant’s school and community; references and recommendations; and evidence of the applicant’s awareness of and appreciation for their Dickinson heritage. Preference will be given to first-time applicants among equally qualified candidates.
The policies for administration and scheduling of the scholarship program are:
- Each application covers one academic year only.
- Payment will be made by early November to help with second semester tuition.
- Payment will be made by check payable jointly to the student and to the college attended.
- The application must be received by midnight of April 30 at the address given below, to be considered.
- The decision will be made by the Committee and announced in June at the Annual Meeting of the Dickinson Family Association.
The application form itself is short, but it should be accompanied by the items listed at the bottom of the applications. The Completed package should be submitted before midnight on April 30th.
For questions, please send an email to Lisa Butler at: